By J.G. Noll
While April and May bring spring flowers, in the military community, they bring giveaways, sweeptakes, and contests celebrating the Month of the Military Child (April), Military Spouse Appreciation Day (May), and Memorial Day (May). The Exchange is kicking off the fetes with two giveaways and one contest centering around military kids.
Win a gift card
From now until April 29, the Exchange is giving away four $250 gift cards every week, for a total of $4,000 in prizes. If you’re 18 or older and an authorized AAFES shopper, sign up for the sweepstakes here.
Take the kids for a jog
If your military kid is really a military tot, put your name in the hat to win one of five Britax BOB 2016 Revolution Flex jogging strollers. Each retails at $449. Anyone who is an authorized AAFES shopper and is over the age of 18 can enter the giveaway here.
Put those pencils to work
If your child is a mini Shakespeare, you’ll want to share this opportunity with them. The Exchange is holding a Month of the Military Child Essay Contest where one $1,000 gift card will be awarded to five military kids based on the merits of their essay. Submissions should be no longer than 250 words and will be taken from April 15 to May 15 via sweepstakes@aafes. Children 13 and older can submit on their own; younger children will need a parent to submit for them. Find the essay topics and rules here when they go live April 15.
We reached out to AAFES who exclusively provided us with the essay topics. One $1000 gift card will be awarded in each age category:
- Through 2nd grade: How do you make new friends?
- 3rd through 5th grade: What are the Pros and Cons of starting a new school?
- 6th through 8th grade: What is your favorite place you’ve lived?
- 9th and 10th grade: What advice would you give to another Military Child experiencing their first deployment?
- 11th and 12th grade: Knowing you’ll soon be graduating, how have new friends, new schools, all the places you’ve lived and deployments prepared you for what’s next in life?
Winners of the essay contest will be announced no later than August 15.
J.G. Noll is the Editor of Military One Click and a veteran’s spouse. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.