From cameos on Good Morning America to the mountains of Afghanistan, puppies have a way of making even the most calloused among us a little softer. Check out these photos of adorable canines and their camo-clad partners and you’ll agree that dogs are definitely a service member’s best friend.
1. Because everyone needs a homecoming lick.
2. Fleet Week is that much better with these fluff balls.
3. A buddy to sightsee with makes Times Square more exciting.
4. Saying goodbye is hard for all of the members of the family… even the furry ones.
5. This puppy works hard as a Red Cross volunteer.
6. This pooch congratulates a paratrooper on a successful practice jump.
7. This pair shares a special homecoming kiss.
8. This puppy was adopted from a shelter by the crew of Coast Guard Station Gloucester.
9. Puppies are eager goodwill ambassadors.
10. This veterinary tech shares a quiet moment with one of her tiniest patients.
11. Smile for the camera!
12. This little guy mugs for the camera with his new-found friend.
13. The uniform looks good on… er, under you, kid!
14. This Panamanian pup gets a little one-on-one time during a civil-military operation.
15. Homecoming just doesn’t feel right without the whole family there.
16. Brought to the US from Afghanistan, this canine knows how to put on the dog.
17. High five!
18. This little gal gets a clean drink of water from a friendly hand.
19. What’s better than one pup? Two!
20. A Marine takes a break with an Iraqi companion.
22. This soldier has found himself on paw patrol.
23. Who’s awesome?