Every year, Gold Star families pack up their children and take a journey on the Snowball Express to Dallas. While their trips begin at different points across the country, their send-offs are joyful and patriotic. The Snowball Express is a non-profit committed to providing happy holiday memories for the children of fallen service members. Begun in 2006, it has ferried thousands of children and their families to a long weekend full of excitement, surprises, and new memories.
1. A Pennsylvanian Gold Star family gets a picture with Santa before embarking on their journey.
2. Santa and Mrs. Claus thank service members who volunteered their time for the Snowball Express in Chicago.
3. A little boy boards the Snowball Express amid applause and high-fives.
4. Santa (a veteran himself) bids farewell to children in Norfolk.
5. Last year, over 1,500 Gold Star families were able to take the Snowball Express.
6. Volunteers and donors are always welcome.
7. Santa speaks to the daughter of a fallen service member.
8. Santa watches as the Snowball Express begins it’s preparations for take-off.
9. Civilians and service members come together to help make the send-off a memorable one.